Your privacy is important to Cricket Australia (ABN 53 006 089 130) and each of the Australian Cricket Entities listed under “Australian Cricket Entities” below, which includes the Australian State and Territory Cricket Associations and the Big Bash League Clubs. Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricket Entities respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal information.
When used in this policy, depending on the context, “we”, “our” and “us” refer to Cricket Australia and/or the Australian Cricket Entities.
This policy provides information about how Australian Cricket may collect, hold and use your personal information.
If you do not provide us with the information that we request, then we may not be able to provide you with our products and services.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in material form or not, about an individual whose identity is reasonably apparent, or can be reasonably ascertained, from the information or opinion. Examples of personal information include your name, postal address, telephone number and email address.
We collect personal information to properly and efficiently carry out our respective functions, including to provide you requested products and services, and to facilitate the provision of marketing and promotion services that may be of interest to you.
The personal information collected and held about you will vary depending on the circumstances of collection and may include, but is not limited to, as follows:
- your name, address, email address, date of birth, gender, occupation, contact information
- information about your favourite BBL club or International team;
- information about dealings with Cricket Australia or Australian Cricket Entities, including subscriptions for Australian Cricket services, attendance at cricket matches or use of your ACF, BBL club or venue membership;
- details of cricket programs you have participated in and the organisations you have participated with;
- details of items ordered or purchased from us;
- background checks including police checks and working with children checked if you apply for employment, coaching and volunteer positions in Australian Cricket;
- other information provided voluntarily by you, for example in response to surveys or competitions
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect personal information about you in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, for example, when you provide information to us by phone, email, in an application form or competition entry form, when you join a Cricket Australia or an Australian Cricket Entity fan club (including without limitation the Australian Cricket Family or the Aussie Cricket Crew or BBL membership), when you purchase tickets to an event, submit information through or access our websites or games (including without limitation cricket.com.au, cricketaustralia.com.au, bigbash.com.au, mycricket.cricket.com.au and the BBL Club websites and BBL Fantasy) or through Cricket Australia Live: The Official App; and
- from third parties, such as the Australian Cricket Entities, Cricket Australia, ticket agencies, Cricket Australia or Australian Cricket commercial partners and other commercial data sources and data providers. We may collect personal information regarding a child from the parent or other responsible person associated with that child.
We may also receive information about you from third parties in relation to other websites. For example, you may choose to participate in a third party application or feature as part of our services (such as logging in through Facebook Connect or Google+ or otherwise linking to the services from another website or interactive service) or on a third party website or service (such as a Facebook application or a similar application or feature) through which you allow us to collect (or the third party to share) information about you, including personal information.
When you choose to participate, you may be opting to link your activity on Australian Cricket services with that third party website or service, which may then collect information about your visits to Australian Cricket websites and may publish that activity as you request to your "profile" or similar feature with that third party (such as if you choose to share content you find on an Australian Cricket website with your "connections" on the third party's website or service).
If you do not provide some or all of the information that we requests from you, this may affect our ability to communicate with you or provide the requested products or services.
By not providing requested information, you may jeopardise your ability to participate in programs or competitions or apply for employment or volunteer positions with us. If it is impracticable for us to deal with you as a result of you not providing the requested information or consent, we may refuse to do so.
Information storage and protection
We store information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. When your information is provided to us, the information may be combined or linked with other information held about you.
Security of personal information is important to us. We have taken steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the security measures we use include strict confidentiality requirements of our respective employees, volunteers, service providers, security measures for system access and security measures for our website.
How do we use your personal information?
Australian Cricket may use your personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected and secondary purposes related to the primary purpose. Such primary and secondary purposes may include, without limitation, use of your personal information to:
- Verify your identity;
- Complete background checks;
- Develop, run, administer and market competitions, programs, activities and other Events relating to cricket and other sports;
- Market products, services, merchandise and special offers made available by Cricket Australia or Australian Cricket Entities or our respective corporate partners, licensees, suppliers and sponsors;
- Administer and manage our respective websites and provide you with access to those websites;
- Keep you informed of news and information (such as advance notice of ticket sales) relating to cricket and other sports, including by distributing newsletters, publications and other communication via various mediums;
- Research, develop, run, administer and market new competitions, programs, activities and other events relating to cricket and other sports; and
- Research and develop new products, services and merchandise relating to cricket and other sports.
Health and sensitive information
If it is reasonably necessary in the circumstances, or you have elected to provide it, Australian Cricket may also collect sensitive information (which is a type of personal information) such as:
- information about your health and medical history; or
- other sensitive information about you (for example, information about your racial or ethnic origin or that of your parents).
Australian Cricket may use health information about you for insurance purposes and/or to ensure that cricket programs in which you participate are run safely and in accordance with any special health needs you may have. If you do not consent to the collection of your health and sensitive information (and we are not otherwise permitted under law to collect that information) please do not provide your health and sensitive information when prompted to do so.
In addition, we may use de-identified health information and other sensitive information to carry out research, to plan events and activities or to prepare submissions to government or a government body. De-identified information is information which has been aggregated or otherwise de-identified so that it cannot be used to identify you or any other individual.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Cricket Australia;
- Australian Cricket Entities;
- Organisations (other than Australian Cricket) involved in cricket and sporting programs and initiatives in Australia;
- Companies that we have engaged or used to carry out functions and activities on our behalf, including companies involved in:
- advertising and marketing our products, services, merchandise and special offers (including social media partners);
- data aggregation, enrichment, augmentation, processing, analytics and research; and
- the design, implementation, maintenance and hosting of any member database on our behalf;
- Our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- Our insurers;
- The International Cricket Council;
- Governmental bodies including the Australian, State & Territory Institutes of Sport, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority and the Australian Sports Commission; and
- Third party service providers, who may be located (and so your personal information may be disclosed) overseas, including in India, the USA and the UK, and other countries from time to time. In such circumstances, we will use our best endeavours to ensure such parties are subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that are suitably similar to the Australian Privacy Principles.
We will use non-sensitive personal information to provide better services and for marketing purposes (including disclosure of such information to service providers and commercial partners).
If you do not wish to receive e-mail, SMS or posted offers from us, you may opt-out by using the link provided. Alternatively, you may advise us at any time that you do not wish to receive e-mail, SMS or posted offers.
In addition, we may also disclose personal information
- with your express or implied consent;
- when required or authorised by law;
- to an enforcement body when reasonably necessary; or
- to lessen or prevent a threat to an individual or public health or safety.
When you visit Australian Cricket websites, our systems may record certain information about your use of those websites (such as which web pages you visit and the time and date of your visit).We use this information to help analyse and improve the performance of our websites.
Australian Cricket websites include the Cricket Australia website and the websites of Australian Cricket Entities as listed below.
We have engaged Nielsen NetRatings to help analyse how our websites are used.
This analysis is performed using data collected from the websites. However, this information is not intended to and will generally not include any personal information.
If you would prefer that Nielsen NetRatings does not collect even any anonymous data about how you use our websites, you can opt-out by visiting the following web page: http://www.netratings.com/privacy.jsp?section=leg_scs
Web beacons are images that originate from a third party site to track visitor activities. We use web beacons to track the visiting patterns and browsing habits of individuals accessing our website. This information is not intended to and will generally not include any personal information, and we will not use the information to identify any individual.
We may also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses relating to you when you access and use the websites. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network of computers which makes up the internet. We may collect and manage IP addresses for internet session management and security purposes.
Websites linked to any of the Australian Cricket websites are not subject to our privacy standards, policies or procedures. We cannot take any responsibility for the collection, use, disclosure or security of any personal information that you provide to a third party website.
Accuracy of your personal information
Australian Cricket takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
However, we rely on the accuracy of personal information as provided to us both directly and indirectly. You are encouraged to regularly review and update your personal information. If you find that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us immediately (our contact details are set out below) and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
How can you access the personal information we hold about you?
Subject to some exceptions provided by law, you have the right to access your personal information.
For security purposes, if you would like to access personal information that we hold about you, we require you to put your request in writing. If we do not allow you access to any part of the personal information we hold about you, we will tell you why.
We will not charge you for lodging a request to access your personal information, but we may charge you for our reasonable costs in supplying you with access to this information.
For the avoidance of doubt, opting–out or unsubscribing yourself from a mailing list of an Australian Cricket product or service will ensure your removal from that particular mailing list but will not guarantee your removal from other mailing lists that Cricket Australia or Australian Cricket Entities may store your details in as a result of your engagement with a different service or product.
Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricket Entities each take all privacy complaints seriously and will investigate your complaint in a confidential manner. You will be informed of the outcome of the investigation within a reasonable period of time
You can contact Cricket Australia by emailing email@example.com or the relevant Australian Cricket Entity by using the contact details below:
Victorian Cricket Association (including the Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades BBL Clubs)
Cricket New South Wales (including the Sydney Sixers and Sydney Thunder BBL Clubs)
Queensland Cricket Association Ltd (including the Brisbane Heat BBL Club)
South Australian Cricket Association Inc (including the Adelaide Strikers BBL Club)
Cricket Tasmania (including the Hobart Hurricanes BBL Club)
Western Australian Cricket Association (Inc) (including the Perth Scorchers BBL Club)
ACT Cricket Association
Northern Territory Cricket Association Inc
Alternatively, you can write to Cricket Australia’s Privacy Officer at 60 Jolimont Street, Jolimont, VIC, 3002.
If we are unable to resolve your complaint or you are unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner via its enquiries line 1300 363 992 or website http://www.oaic.gov.au/ to lodge a complaint.
Australian Cricket Entities
- Victorian Cricket Association (trading as Cricket Victoria) (ABN 28 004 128 812)
- Cricket New South Wales (ABN 27 000 011 987)
- Queensland Cricket Association Ltd (ABN 55 612 695 676)
- South Australian Cricket Association Inc. (ABN 94 694 912 780)
- Cricket Tasmania (ABN 34 009 476 993)
- Western Australian Cricket Association (Inc.) (ABN 44 026 744 769)
- ACT Cricket Association Inc (ABN 61 741 344 332)
- Northern Territory Cricket Association Inc (ABN 21 938 643 056)
- Melbourne Stars Limited (ABN 48 152 852 278)
- Melbourne Renegades Pty Ltd (ABN 84 153 209 628)