The Melbourne Renegades have finalised their preparations for BBL|02 after completing a successful series of three practice matches against the Canberra Comets.
The highlight of the matches was a blistering 56 off just 23 balls from Renegades skipper Aaron Finch in today’s match at Windy Hill, while Will Sheridan was impressive in the Geelong matches taking six wickets in the two games at Kardinia Park.
Today's match saw the Renegades score 7/162 in reply to the Comets 8/138, with the chase built largely on a remarkable opening partnership of 85 inside 6 overs from Finch and Dan Harris.
Yesterday's games were split with a Comets side featuring Renegades squad members successfully chasing the Renegades 8/102 in game one before Tom Cooper steered the Renegades to a final over win in the twilight fixture.
Renegades coach Simon Helmot said the practice matches were an important step in the team building combinations prior to the eight-game season.
“The matches over the last two days were perfect in allowing us to simulate match conditions and get to know each other in game situations before the first game of the season,” Helmot said.
“We have players coming from all around the country, so the games were also about starting to gel off the park too and really build a Renegades culture within the team.”
"The ACT guys deserve a lot of credit too. They really competed with us and allowed our fringe guys to get some time in the middle playing for them, which was invaluable."
Legendary off-spinner Muttiah Muralidaran also looked to be in good touch, taking three wickets in his two appearances and extracting a large amount of spin from the Windy Hill wicket.
The Melbourne Renegades begin their KFC T20 Big Bash campaign in the season opening derby against the Melbourne Stars at Etihad Stadium this Friday.
Game 3 - Melbourne Renegades vs Canberra Comets (T20)
Windy Hill, Essendon
1. M Hill c.Rimmington b.Ahmed 2(6)
2. J Dean lbw.Drew 1(3)
3. B Dean c.Ahmed b.Finch 12(12)
4. A Ayre c.Nevill b.Ahmed 17(19)
5. D Solway c.Nevill b.Rimmington 4(5)
6. M Spaseski st.Nevill b.Ahmed 8(12)
7. M Hill not out 44(35)
8. M Gawthorp c.Rohrer b.Muralidaran 6(11)
9. M Buchanan run out (Solway) 33(18)
10. J Muirhead did not bat
11. J Connolly did not bat
Wickets (bowling figures not available): Ahmed 3, Drew 1, Finch 1, Rimmington 1, Muralidaran 1.
1. A Finch st.McLintock b.Devoy 56(23)
2. D Harris c.Hill b.Muirhead 29(18)
3. P Nevill c.J.Dean b.Connolly 21(19)
4. B Rohrer c.McLintock b.Devoy 3(4)
5. T Cooper lbw. Muirhead 7(11)
6. W Sheridan c.Devoy b.Oakley 4(11)
7. B Drew c.McLintock b.Connolly 7(8)
8. N Rimmington not out 24(16)
9. A O'Brien not out 6(12)
10. M Muralidaran did not bat
11. F Ahmed did not bat
Wickets (bowling figures not available): Connolly 2, Devoy 2, Muirhead 2, Oakley 1.